After you’ve Turkey for me’d, and turkey for you’d… then the Thanksgiving leftover recipes start coming out. This year, try this Rustic Italian take on the Best-Ever Classic Turkey Pot Pie. It will make you want to sing The Thanksgiving Song one more time before the end of the holiday!
Love to Eat Turkey Deep Dish Pot Pie
1 hour, 10 minutes
- 4 Tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, unsalted
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 cup (heaping) celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carton white/button mushrooms
- 1 small carton cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese or Parmesan cheese blend
- 1 lb. cooked turkey meat, deboned and chopped into small bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 Tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- 2 unbaked pie crusts (1 box Pillsbury Pie Crusts, refrigerated)
- 1 egg
- splash of milk
- Make sure there is an oven rack in the lower section of your oven. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Add the first 10 ingredients in a deep skillet and saute over medium-high heat. Stirring often, continue to saute until the vegetables have released all of their liquid and the mushrooms have reached their desired tenderness.
- While the vegetables are cooking, measure out your flour and have it ready to add to the pan. In a small bowl, combine the heavy cream, milk, and the chicken broth.
- When the vegetables are done, sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and continuously stir, scraping the bottom of the pan, until no dry flour remains. Then, quickly pour in the broth mixture and continue to continuously stir and scrape the bottom of the pan. Cook, while stirring, until the sauce has thickened. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese, cooked turkey, frozen peas, and parsley. Stir until all ingredients are well-combined. Adjust seasonings (salt and pepper) and set-aside to cool.
- Remove the refrigerated pie-crusts from their box and allow them to rest at room temperature for 15 minutes before working with them.
- Unroll one of the pie crusts and fit it into a 9-inch DEEP DISH pie pan. Press the crust firmly against the sides and bottoms of the pan.
- Spoon the cooled filling into the pie crust.
- Unroll the second pie crust and center it over the top of the filled pie. Wrap the edge of the top crust under the bottom crust edge all the way around the pie. Then, press the edges together against the edge of the pie plate to seal the pie.
- Cut slits in the top of the crust to vent and place the pie on a cookie sheet.
- Whisk together an egg and a splash of milk, creating an egg wash, and generously brush the egg over the top crust of the pie.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes on the lower rack of the oven.
- Cool for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
© 2021 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2018 ThimbleFullofStars.com