Livin’ the Keto Dream with Cheeseburger Casserole!
This recipe was thankfully found by my husband when he was put in charge of dinner one evening. My hubby stumbled onto this keto recipe post from Buns In My Oven while on a “keto casserole” search and decided to give it a try, since we had all of the required ingredients on-hand.
I made some ever-so-slight modifications to the ingredient list, mostly adding brand-specifics, and I modified the basic instructions a little to fit my cooking style.
We were pleasantly surprised at just how tasty and keto-friendly this recipe really is. We both agreed over a second serving that we would definitely be making this cheeseburger casserole again!! It’s a great weeknight meal, fast and easy to prepare, with affordable ingredients. And, if you like pickles on your cheeseburger, you’re going to love that sprinkle of dill on top!
What a hit!
- 1 pkg. (12 oz.) H-E-B Applewood Smoked Bacon, cut into 1/4" to 1/2" thick lardon slices
- 1 lb. ground beef*
- 1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp. Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- 2 Tbsp. Heinz Tomato Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. French's Classic Yellow Mustard
- 1 Tbsp. Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. RedHot Hot Sauce
- 8 oz. Tillamook Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, finely grated
- 1 tsp. fresh dill, leaves only
- *Like many of my "ground beef" dishes, I use ground wild hog meat when available because it's (1) amazingly delicious, (2) extremely healthy, and (3) an easy replacement for ground beef. I highly recommend substituting with it, if it is available to you! If not, a lean ground sirloin, bison, or even veal are also great meat choices.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon lardons until golden brown and crispy.
- Reserve on a paper towel lined plate to soak up any remaining bacon grease. Drain the grease from the pan. (Reserve a splash of the bacon grease to coat the inside of your baking dish!)
- In the same skillet, add the ground beef, onion, and the garlic and cook until the meat is browned and the onions are translucent. Drain any fat from the pan.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the cream cheese, ketchup, mustard, W sauce, and seasoned salt. Cook, stirring constantly, until well combined.
- Grease an 8x8-inch backing dish with the reserved bacon grease. Spread the beef mixture evenly into the dish and top with the bacon lardons.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, black pepper, and hot sauce until well combined. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the top of the beef and bacon.
- Top the egg mixture with the grated cheese, sprinkling it over the entire surface as evenly as possible.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until the egg mixture is set and slightly golden on top.
- Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle top with the fresh dill.
- Let slightly cool, approximately 5 minutes, before slicing and serving.